Friday, November 4, 2011

#93 Starry, Starry Night



93. Star gaze in the Smoky Mountains (TN)

Two weeks ago I had the privileged of going to visit some friends who live in the Smoky Mountains. Seeing that I do not have a car, and am from the other side of the country, I don't get the opportunity to get off campus very often so this was a real *treat*. I grew up amongst the avocado trees of my family's small grove in a rural part of San Diego County (...ok so its not Middle-of-no-where, Kansas, but its still rural). I absolutely love spending time outside and have taken up running out-of-doors in order to get off campus and be outside (my theory is the faster you run, the more of the city you get to explore farther away from campus).
All this to say--I completed #93 on my list--star gazing in the Smoky Mountains. It was a crisp October night and me and several friends stood around a home-made campfire ring while being overwhelmed by the vastness of the heavens and the stars. Someone had a smart-phone and you can use an app. to identify the constellations you see; that was pretty amazing. I don't know anything about stars or astronomy, but I sure do love to look at them! It totally brings me back home to my avocado groves when my sisters and I would lie on our trampoline and look at the stars on chilly summer nights. 

I fell in love with this song last year when my then-roommate Natalie introduced to to me. I personally love the Josh Groban version better than the original, so that's why I chose to post this particular clip. 

Starry, starry night... 
 "Vincent"

No comments:

Post a Comment